Friday, September 13, 2013

How Life Can Change in 16 Minutes

This is how Thursday between 11:00-11:16am went down:

11:00 - As I was sitting down, checking my computer, studying for an upcoming credential test for work/career - I got a text from my friend who we call Elaine asking if I was one of X number of people being laid off at my company.

11:02 - After reading those words, panic starting ensuing as I told myself not to panic and I went to my company's email and employee page - finally deciding on the email per that would contain any information and more accurate information.

11:05 - My phone rings, the number looks familiar, but I know the number is familiar - maybe kiddo's doctor - but I am obviously dealing with more important things at this moment.

11:07 - Finally scanning through the email, and yes my friend was right - straight from the CEO there WILL be a workforce reduction. Phone, same number rings again - I think for a second, *@$! it's work.

11:07 - Pick up the phone, it is my supervisor - my heart is now in my throat yet somehow pounding out of my chest as I answer it.

11:08-11:15 - I have a phone conversation with my boss, who is calling everyone and trying to tell them not to panic, she thinks our particular department made enough cuts already to be safe (including not only the coffee maker/supply but also the cups, lids, straws, forks, spoons, and knifes..and no I am not kidding at all as well as the pay cut this summer and lower daily staffing.)

11:15 - After explaining my situation of planning to sign a lease/move in October, being a single parent and re-stating even though she thinks our jobs are safe I ask the tough question: Do you have any guarantee from anyone that I or our department is safe from being laid off? Her answer is no.

11:16 - I get off the phone and try to begin to deal with reality, along with no real absorption of qualitative information, except for there is the possibility that I could have no job at some point soon, as I try to suck out the real facts from the company wide email.

I didn't get very far on the real scoop that day, as the kiddo had a short nap and I needed to change her sheets (the answer to the question about the size 5 diapers from my previous post is that, no they don't work - need the 4's). However, she knew I needed something because she sat on her bed post-nap and let me read 2 of her nite-nite books to her, which she doesn't even do at bedtime and gave me at least 5 extra kisses.

As I have found out more details about the reduction in the past 24 hours, the time-line, and what it means for me and my family even if I am not cut (I would go into details but am barred by saying what has not yet been in the news) - the first thing has come to pass, we lost our apartment. We lost not shelter, but a chance at a home for now and it sucks. Could it be worse, yes - but it still sucks. And I get to work this weekend, not seeing my kiddo awake. I am not sure how I will make it through tomorrow with ease, but I will make it because that's what I do.

This song helped today - especially the speech part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2dKOfbC9c


No comments:

Post a Comment