Saturday, April 5, 2014

Off The Grid

I am considering going off the grid personally online and considering other possible ways to lay low as well. I would still keep my blog and accounts associated with it as it is a great outlet and a good tool to keep in touch with those closest. Audited and edited by me, not another entity, I can read other blogs as I like if I look them up they are not just put in a feed that a computer analysis system controls, and I can still share with those closest as they are the ones I invited into this part of my world – others can come and go as they please.

Although things like Facebook may make you feel connected, I have found that personally (especially with my family unfortunately) it only makes the real connection feel all the more distant and not real. For instance, I put up a post recently about the meaning of awareness (only awareness as forbid my family world knows about Autism and the like in our world actually being a possibility) and what it may or may not mean to me personally. I was jumped on by family members either trying to understand what I cannot tell them or by those having an inkling of what I was talking about and trying to change the subject. Only true friends really liked the original post and commented effectively. Then I woke up this morning after posting some pics of the kiddo last night and holy notifications Batman – because my mother must like each and every photo in order to show love. She also asked me to “pray for me today, we’ll talk later” over text this morning – really?! Since she was asleep when I got the kid, I can only assume it was a procedure of sorts. Also the disconnect I feel when I am actually around my geographical close family – sorry but I don’t feel I belong right now because I cannot be fully honest with them.

However, my truths are not hurtful in nature only real. Reality is what can tear some families apart unfortunately.  I am much more comfortable with my God given family of friends -some of you reading right now, many of whom have taken the low profile online grid approach lately and I commend you for it. Maybe you had a moment similar to mine where “connection” made you feel the disconnect in some ways or you just feel you want to keep those family moments to yourself or that there just isn't enough time to text, post, tweet the same info over and over when it really isn't that important. You are actually living life and your reality and if you have a question you are seeking out a person to ask (even if you do have to text or email the question) you are asking an individual – not a web of friends.


I will post this tomorrow possibly, as for tonight I am not even turning on the switch to the router, visual media, modem, and DVD (my best idea yet to keep them all in the same power strip in my humble world). I am simply typing this out as I wait for my soup to steep and get ready to read more of my favorite story this time of year which happens to be the majority of the book of Exodus.  So if you see me disappear personally for a bit or lay low – it’s nothing personal ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment