Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tennistota: Blessings In Disguise?

I first came up with the idea for this post as I was finally sitting at work charting and thought “crap, I have to get up early tomorrow (a Saturday) for that sale….oh crap, tomorrow’s not Friday!” Followed by the – you get to get up early to go to a kids clothing sale with a friend and grab coffee before hand – sans kids, so why the oh crap since you would be up anyways. Silly I know, but you must live in my mind to understand it.
Then on my way out of work my dad called – this is usually never a “good” thing. He started out with “two things,” again never a good sign, “one, dinner is in the fridge so don’t forget and two I learned from said higher up at your work that I know about this position and said person said they would support you in it – still downtown but a Monday-Friday type of gig” followed by a small explanation of said gig. I listened, but as I was listening my brain was going into stress mode as I was planning to attend a job fair for a job in the direction of my first degree and this was in my current degree that I am in now. I had a plan darn it! 

Then we talked more, I thought more on my way home while listening to K-Love for any sign, and realized that I would have a lot of back up for me getting this position, I wouldn't have to switch companies, therefore no insurance lull for the kid, and still my Monday-Friday hours I was looking for even though the commute would stay about the same. My directions of which degree to follow were still there though. I tried to thank God for my blessings of having such choices in direction and two college degrees to support them instead of focusing on the stress. I tend to sometimes focus on the stress.

I got to my folks to pick up the kid, shared with my mom about the job, my dad comes in and I tell him my inspirations of further work/professional support in this opportunity but my torn-ness in direction and he explains his snowball of the future possibilities. Mainly that it could lead to my original avenue and this job would not be it until 70 – I can always branch. True.

My main dream my senior year in college with my first degree, I found to only have one clinic here in the U.S. in Minnesota, that disappointed me very much. I just hoped I could chug along until an opportunity presented itself. I got my second degree and current career degree in Tennessee – a strange move for me, a strange place, where my marriage began and started to end, but my dad’s side of the family was further known to me.  A while ago, my sometimes too clever kiddo brought up a state during her state puzzle – “Tennisota.”  My dad did not know my dream when he basically said you could end up doing blank – this dream job. I just sat and thought – wow, Tennisota.  It may take time, work, adjustments, but what if I can get there someday?!


Lastly, my dad informed my mom “hey, did she tell you she has a week off?!” OK, this week off is because I need to stay home with kiddo during a school closure long weekend, do 2 Easter/birthday celebrations, then take 8 hours for my b-day to myself no kiddo, then back to kiddo for a couple and back to work. Yet it is a week away from work, to get things done, to celebrate, to not wake up at 04:00, and celebrate. I was also reminded that the last time I had a week off of work was maternity leave, so I guess I can’t complain now can I?


No comments:

Post a Comment