Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Generation Gaps

As I was out eating dinner with my parents - at the Texas Roadhouse early bird special, toddler in tow - and we were having conversations ultimately leading to religion, I came to wonder where do the generation gaps actually fall?

Obviously there is between me and my parents - I think we can all say that - it is amazing to me what I deem important in life: water, healthy eating/living, raising a child with ethics and emotion and patience, saving for the immediate future as well as long term for living purposes only and what their generation deems important: mainly instant gratification, somewhat half serious approach to retirement living, work as in the actually place you work at not what you do, and of course the news. Even taking stock of the above I found my father who is 6 years younger than my mother has different views than her, yet different than myself as far as generational thinking goes. This thought became even more apparent as my mom went through the DVR to watch "my friend" as she put it Kacey Musgraves perform and I was making "I don't get it!" comments about Taylor Swift; my mother was not impressed by the song "my friend" performed as it told actual truths.

Then there was the toddler, amazed at the big animals on the walls, country music, and the rolls. She did take a slight interest in the Red-sox/White-sox game on TV and mommy tried to explain how you cannot route for both Chicago teams and in this series you would actually route for the White-sox because when you are older and the Cubs have still not won a World Series you will understand our angst that Boston broke their long chain before we did.

Back to my point, I find that even my siblings and people a few years younger have the TMNT v Ghostbusters (it was a movie before a cartoon people) v Thundercats cartoon generation gap - hey it is the small things that point us to change at times. I did find on the car ride home, however, that we all contribute to eachothers' times as my toddler repeated after me "yada, yada, yada."

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment