Thursday, December 19, 2013

Is It Over Yet?

"Whoever invented this Christmas nonsense should be taken out back and shot."

Sorry, but this is kind of how I feel right now - I am exhausted and it's about a week out from Christmas Day. I am still working my regular hours, no end in sight there and no extra time off around the holidays in my line of work to relax or get things done.

There was a time when I felt Christmas was simple, however, I can't remember when that was or how it felt. The duties seem overwhelming - on top of educating your children on the real meaning of Christmas, please make it to the pageant, after you have recovered from the Thanksgiving school parties (and family ones) please don't forget about the pageant again - oh and the cookies for the class party, BTW are you done with your shopping yet and what have you done for others too. It all just seems like way too much now a days.

Add on top of that the stress of having a kiddo who thrives on routine whose world has been upside down the past couple weeks due to all of the above and everyone surrounding her (even if I am trying my best to keep us out of it) doing the above as well, non regular school activities, oh and transition to a higher room come the new year. And doing it all as a single parent with the mental/emotional prep of what the actual 25th will bring with sharing parenting time, working that day, grabbing in a quick Christmas morning before the drop off, and being in 3 (technically 4) different cities in one day. As an adult I am kind of dreading it and can't imagine how much of  a loop the kiddo will be in.

I just want to have a simple day or two with my daughter and play with the couple of things I did get her for Christmas (not to mention assemble), get the budget straight without panic and feeling "less" than others, see a couple of friends, win a pantry and fridge makeover - filling it with all the good for you foods and lots and lots of water. And clean the place up a bit, I have done great at minimizing but need to do some more and would love to do it more internally as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the true meaning of Christmas and am looking forward to the couple of hours with the kiddo and waking her up in the morning and all - but I feel like not only has society (and metro Suburbia) sped up the whole holiday season but that it is getting harder and harder for us folks who want to just keep it simple to actually keep it simple.

I think next year we will just by baby Jesus a birthday cake, keep only the one foot small tree, drink cocoa and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment