Sunday, January 19, 2014

Saved By The Burbs

After a little bit of a tiff with a close family member on Friday after work – which was very late btw – and then I had to prepare the kiddo for a Saturday visit with her other biological family which escalated said Friday night tiff leaving me crying on the way home and crawling into a chilly bed on Saturday morning after the kiddo did not do so well with the transition. I also learned later that night that she didn't do so well the last time this exchange happened either and they don’t happen that often as well….I think you get the point that this is a difficult situation for the kiddo.  

So after a morning nap, some text convo with a good friend about various but real life things including what had happened or my feelings on what had happened Friday night/Saturday morning – I pulled it together a bit, watched some old TV DVDs, got some things done and before I left on my grocery run I had some coffee and got this fortune in a fortune cookie:


I laughed to myself thinking – if this is new word lesson is a true fortune today – Superb. And can you guess what happened – yep, about five minutes later the text that “per the weather” early drop off. So I rushed to the store, also packed with folks worried “per the weather” (like 2-3 inches over many hours btw), and headed to pick the kiddo up as soon as I could. That is where I learned about the not so great transitions, signs of food allergy reactions that she always has on her face, and the kiddo’s visit for the next day was cancelled due to previous plans – always gut wrenching even when expected- then we headed home. To a freezing house – yep, the water heater that also heats the house was out again as I found out when I was again in a towel in need of a warm shower to not be Miss Greasy Hair 2014. Needless to say, it put me in a less than stellar mood as nothing could be done as it was too late in the evening/night and on call was open until late into the Sunday morning.

In a rush and because it was freezing in here – I got us ready, was probably one of the least peaceful parents out there this morning per everything and the kiddo being well the kiddo, packed up the car just in case and headed out to be late to church. I was happy we got there earlier (though still late) than usual, we were in a warm and safe place, the kiddo enjoyed it AND they announced a free donations accepted family pancake breakfast at the end – so food too!! I was seriously praying for forgiveness from the earlier weekend days and praising for what we were being given – warmth, God, fellowship, and even warm food. I then sucked it up and texted my folks to see if it was OK if we hung for a bit in more warmth and I showered during the kiddo’s nap in case things didn't get fixed that day. FAITH is the opposite of PRIDE. The folks were off to church themselves so we had the house to ourselves which was nice, I made some calls, my dad made a second breakfast when they got back, a short nap for the kiddo, a nice shower for me – then off we went…not perfect but blessed again as they again fixed the problem short term at least. Then we headed to Target because the kiddo had a gift card to pick out a toy from Christmas and upon leaving we saw our good friends loading up their car as well and said a quick hello.


It was a good but weird feeling driving between the wood and the grove of our Suburban town, like we really were in a community even though we often times don’t feel like we fit the mold. And today, Suburbia gave us every little basic thing we needed, so it felt like they bent a bit too on the simple side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment