Thursday, July 10, 2014

It's Time to Say Good-bye to All Our Friends

No, not you readers :) And thanks for hanging in there, btw.

I make it no secret that the kiddo has some special needs. In our state, one of the decent things in our state, is that kids who qualify per professional evaluation (that is also free) can receive free or near free therapy services up to age 3, how ever many hours and how ever many times a week/month. My kiddo has been one such kid to receive at least 3 hours of therapy a week from various services for the last year and a half.

I also enrolled her in a group session, it cost out of pocket, but I could afford it at the time. They have a song they sing at the end: "It's time to say good-bye to all our friends, good-bye! It's time to say good-bye to all our friends, good-bye! Now it's time to say good-bye, wave and give high-fives, yes it's time to say good-bye to all our friends, good-bye!"

And that is what we finished up today - we said good-bye to our last therapist, who consequently was also our first. It was hard, we made both made it quick. She has done so much for the kiddo, so much. The kiddo whispered one word at 18 months and I had to wait close to 2 years to finally hear my own child say "mama" for the first time. I realize some parents don't even get that, so I am lucky, but that is a hard wait. I keep reminding myself of that when we are having discussions on why the moon is following us and the rotation and orbit of the earth.

They also helped me in many ways, again SO many ways! They were my outlet, they were on Team Sarah when I was the only one, they did therapy outside with us when the meltdowns would be too much for my parents who may still be in denial, they gave me books, toys, online resources, and sometimes just someone to talk too. Now, I can stay in touch with a couple, but I don't want to ask a bunch of questions or anything and I will most likely just FB friend the one because she is an awesome person, Christian, and a mom, and she is the one that was our first and our at bat for all the feeding issues.

Though it feels there is so much to get done tonight, I had to write this post because if not I would end up losing it at work tomorrow. Our journey is far from over with the possible "A" word, however, for the moment we are on our own. I will rest before fighting the next battle, one of many, but for now - we say good-bye to our team, hello to a new family of team members that are going to be there for a long time, and keep the faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment