Saturday, July 5, 2014

If I Ever Stared at Your Kid(s) in Starbucks…

Sorry, didn't mean to stare, but here is why I did:

I was in complete awe that you could even take your child or children in there because I know my own would wreck the place for one. The other reason is, being the mom of one child who is a rough 3 years old, I gasp in fear at the thought of that number increasing in any way, shape, or form – so I am again in awe that you have chosen to take on that task that seems so impossible to me personally. So be aware I am not staring in judgment, my jaw just drops at things when I am not thinking. When I am in need of coffee and in a said coffee shop, I am usually not thinking!

Point of post you ask? Good question. I never realized I was staring until the other day when A and I were out and about with our respective collective of 4 kiddos, trying to make our way to the park to let mine expended some much needed energy, and the decision was made by all that we needed to caffeine up before that adventure. OK, mainly me, A, and his oldest the teenager who also shares the love for coffee. As we all trekked in, I was pulling up the rear making sure my kiddo didn't pull a Wynonna on all the stuff set out by the counter and there was a moment when I looked and really saw what two adults and four kids ages 3-17 looked like.  My jaw dropped as I stared as I normally would and THEN I realized, this is our group….I am one of the adults bringing four kids into Starbucks! It wasn't a negative thing, just a shock, like an out of body experience. I think it was our first time all out in public so that added to it a bit, throw the location of Starbucks in there, and give an ole’ Harry Carry “holy cow” shout.

Needless to say my kiddo prompted us very quickly to go sit outside rather than inside but it was all good. For a moment I sat back and looked at A and all the kids on their tech stuff and good smile did come across my face – of course moments later I realized my kid (unleashed literally at the time) was headed toward the road so I quickly ran after her. Then then A and the kids ran after me, quite the sitcom we were! We all made it to the park and had a good time – I was happy my kiddo could be herself around everyone, though when comfortable her way of showing it is giving everyone heart attacks, the need for speed, and cravings for more caffeine and sleep.

I want to bring up the other point of my post now: I had already said before I met A, that I wasn't sure how I was going to let someone into our little family of two and how happy I was with our little family of two. Then A came along and the good Lord opened my heart wider. After meeting and hanging out with A’s kids, I had the same fear of where do the kiddo and I fit in here, what are our roles, etc. Silly me, why did I even worry?! Last night as I (sans kiddo) was walking back to the car with A and his kids – his daughter huddled closer to me as we walked through a downtown ally saying she was scared in such places and I put my arm around her instinctively and gave her a squeeze, a real from the heart squeeze that I didn't even think about. That’s when it hit me, I am falling for them too now, my heart is growing in ways I never thought possible! I am now very comfortable that I don’t have to be a step-mom role, or try and be a friend, or “act my age,” etc. I can just be me and show them my heart honestly, just as I have shown A.


So now if I smile at you and your kid(s) in Starbucks, you know why. 


No comments:

Post a Comment