Friday, July 12, 2013

Lincoln and The Library

There is a penny on my bathroom rug, lying faced down, and I cannot bring myself to pick it up because I can hear my great-grandmother yelling that because it is heads down bad luck will occur. It taunts me after every shower and during any awake moments of 5 min hair and make-up time. I will get to the other meaning of pennies in a bit.

Yesterday was a day of good, yet intense opportunity and circumstance that could greatly affect my family of two. So after it knocked at 5:50am, waking me for the day before my child even woke up, and opening the door to said opportunity further during nap time - we had to get out of the house. So to the library we went.

I have mentioned that my kiddo is a little neuro atypical when it comes to certain self and social situations, so this was kind of a big deal. The arrival went well, then came the other children who were actually there first....screaming, mine, no, well you get the picture. Unfortunately we had a shadow/parrot child lock onto us, well the kiddo. Thankfully his mother, after asking if our shadow did anything per my screaming crying child, explained in a perfectly normal way that this child who was a little older was the same way at times. And per watching the non- interaction I think she knew what I am going through per experience which was nice. So in a quick effort to leave the library and screaming behind, I said it was time for dinner, my brain scrambled for what that would be and due to price point and time I uttered the words "pizza." 

Driving home, I remembered we had a bit of chicken left at home - it could save money. Re-enter the Lincoln part of the post, I was just trying to save a little cash hence free library trip, no books checked out as that now costs about $40 annually due to "city limits," and home-microwaved dinner. But alas, the child now remembers short and long term so "pizza, pizza, pizza" and I find myself in the Little Caesar's drive and go. True it was only $8 for a deep dish, but I am trying to not have our meals out especially on whims. That said, I also don't want my kiddo to hear "we can't afford that" for the little things or break remembered promises. So I got out my paper Lincoln's and dug through the sticky metal ones in the car and it was pizza night.

It is financially and emotionally frustrating though that we live in a time now that whether it be the reality that we may not have the choice to send our kids to a private school or the decision to pick up or not pick up easy food on the way home. The former being a decision that I would rather come to per parental choice, not due to financial situations, but a reality staring me right in the face. So after I got the kiddo to bed, cleaned up a bit, then got myself cleaned up in the shower - I again looked down and saw the faced down penny, which I can guarantee (especially with pending opportunities) will still be there in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment