Saturday, July 27, 2013

The First Blue Lagoon Moment

Warning: Possible slight TMI, and just avoid if you are a man.

So I had the kiddo in the tub tonight and had to pee for the first time in 6-8 hours - well, I had to go before that but you know how it is. As it was, it is also mother nature time here so I have been trying to go without the kiddo, I tried to be discrete however, as I sat down the following ensued:

Kiddo: "Boo boo?"
Me: "No, not really, it doesn't hurt."
Kiddo with confused look.
Me: "It's something that just happens when you get older, but it doesn't hurt."
Kiddo stood up and wanted out of the tub - we have issues with that anyway so I am hoping tonight's clingy-ness was only that.

Total flashback from The Blue Lagoon where the dying mom is telling the girl everything she would need to know about life, including when you get your period. But my kiddo is not even in pre-school?! Needless to say this little moment caught me by surprise, I think I handled it fairly well as no long term damage has been done, but if the kiddo remembers one thing it's boo boos. She still points to where a splinter was two months ago on her hand every morning and says "boo boo."

This kind of opened my eyes to a slew of questions and topics that will not be on my agenda for the day in the upcoming 10-15 years - possibly more. On the way home I was actually thinking about such educational topics, how they are taught in school, and what I would want my kiddo to hear from a teacher; I am trying to decide the whole public v private school thing in the next year.

But yeah, that happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment