Monday, November 25, 2013

A Home For The Holidays


I think I had posted before about wanting or wishing for my own home for the holidays….well even though it may be just a rental apartment home, the kiddo and I have our own place to call home now; a home for the holidays.

Even though I don’t quite yet know if it was the right timing yet, as the move-in costs were a little more than I expected, I do know that we are both better off for it. Not better off in the “hey look at me I have my own place” just to say I made it on my own, but to the point that I can tell we both feel better emotionally and are more at peace here. Well, as at peace you can get with a little one trying to run the place J

I got to go through my own box of accumulated holiday decorations the other night and it was nice, a nice start. I hope that the kiddo will enjoy it as much as I do when we put them up, after Thanksgiving that is – yes we are that family. I like how that sounds, family. We will borrow a tree from my folks, which is perfectly fine for now, a tree is a tree – I really don’t mind where it is stored in the off season. I have some lights and a few ornaments to put on it and we will accumulate more as time passes. We can make our own and make our own paper ring too.

We have already driven past a couple of houses decorated to the nines on the outside and the kiddo seems perfectly content about that and that is enough to make me happy. We will hang our stockings for the first time on the eve of St. Nicholas Day – thank goodness I already made sure I had those little stocking stuffers covered. Not much but something and the kiddo is seemingly simple like I have learned to become which is a good thing. Give her some apples, clementine’s, and a granola bar and she is happy.

I think we are going to make it here, even if I have to give up the Starbucks card – mobile reloading has become my budget downfall. Career or job changes will be made this year I feel very strongly as the city commute is just getting to be too much in gas money and family time – add in a possible fall pre-school start and mandatory change it is. And even when I start to get overwhelmed or stressed out about the budget (you know like now, sorry if this post isn’t more uplifting), I try and remember the peace of our own little world; coming home to a quiet house, no one here but us, silence after the kiddo is asleep, cleaning because I want to not because I feel I have too, lighting candles if I want, my own bed, our own schedule, adding home touches here and there (the Van Gogh’s are up in our respected rooms), our own galley kitchen, just the little things.

And God providing, usually not in windfalls of any sort – but making the timing right to make things work and trusting that more is coming for us down the road a piece. I thank God every night for our home and as the kiddo corrects me “not a little home, a big home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment