Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Hunger Games 2013 - Part I

Let's face it, we all have our own dysfunctional families to deal with on the holidays and by sharing today's post I am in no way saying that I have have the most dysfunctional of them all - but Rob Riner couldn't have written this stuff!

Let's start at the basics - I have an older half brother and an older half sister whose father was pretty much absentee for the most part, my parents who are still together raised us all, my father (of whom I am the only biological child of) raised us all together and equally as his own. Fast forward 20-30 years: I am the youngest and am a divorce with one child who I have pretty much 24/7 365 days a year. My brother, the middle child, has always been a serial monogamist and got the surprise of a lifetime when his daughter was conceived who is now school age. My sister (whimsical, bi-polar), the oldest, has three children between the ages of 2 and 13, all who have different fathers - two of which are involved and the other has an unrelated step-father of sorts.

So when it came out that my brother was coming into town from out west with his new live in girlfriend (first time in 10 years that he has been that serious) for Thanksgiving, his daughter was coming in WITH her mother from down south in the states, my sister was available with all three of her kids (not easy during the holidays per visitation for all the kids) with her boyfriend - who is NOT the father, sorry had to throw that Maury shot in there - and we were all to gather at my parents' in the burbs of the Midwest for Thanksgiving.....let's just say I almost picked up an extra shift at work. This was also the first time all 5 of my parents grandchildren where ever in the same room and the first time in a couple years that my siblings and parents where all together at the same time as well. Did I mention my parents are Catholic - nature v nurture on that one folks.

The first dinner of the week was held down in our hometown, and well, it was just a blur as I had the kiddo and had to work in the morning, drive down, eat, and drive home. So no super great stories there. Now I did get to meet "the new girl" before my brother's daughter and mother got into town; she was nice, what I had expected from the past ones, which means I like her for the most part - which always fiddles with the 5 year rule we put on my brother's relationships. However, she was starting up her own business in the health and nutrition/online world, and that is so what I am trying to do right now in my head anyway. And she had the full blown launch and everything along with hired help and my brother's expertise - I would be lying if the words "oh crap, really" didn't want to fly out of my mouth, but I did the whole hope it works out well, congrats thing. Oh, and not an iPhone-er and has a Coach bag - it's one of those "I really thought you were more down to earth" type things rather than a judgement. She may be my age as well, my bro is 6 years older than me.

The mid-week, welcome-in the niece and mother of niece, oh and get us all some darn wine please dinner was interesting. My daughter and niece seemed to get along well, which left some room for adult talk at the table. I and my folks were torn into wanting to get to know the new girl as well as not leave the mother of my niece who we have known longer out of the loop either. Much wine was poured, it came out literally and very specific from my niece's mom "that oh by the way guys I will be in the background during this trip to let the kid get used to more focused time with you (my brother and the new girl I guess) so I will be in the background a lot on purpose." This was the first anyone, including my brother had heard this and I could tell and I just about choked on my wine, then did when my niece asked to sleep with my brother and the new girl that night. Seriously - we couldn't have co-parented this convo at an earlier date?! So a little more wine for all it was. Oh, did I mention all of them were staying at my parents house for the visit? Yeah, so I was happy to take the kiddo and run at the end of dinner that night, not to mention I had seen my parents way too much already and they were already trying to back seat parent with the two grandchildren present.

Like I said, I went home that night, cooked, packed, and Pintrested my way past midnight for the actual day of Thanksgiving, all while watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation because it only seemed appropriate. I had to prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally to represent District 12 in the games the next day - oh and my dad and I were the only cooks/bakers for all this. Our mission was to arrive early and make a plan as I knew the Cornucopia was going to be a mad dash before the true games began. Stay tuned for part II tomorrow - reliving this is exhausting, but I promised many and I never break a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment