Monday, August 5, 2013

The First Day of School

There is a tradition in the particular Suburban I was transplanted to and it is a little like watching lions in the African Safari. You see, the bus comes to the corner of a particular mom in the neighborhoods house and all the kids in the cul-de-sac therefore go to that stop. Well, I don't know when the tradition began, but this mom puts out a table with coffee and snack and it has grown into a pitch-in type deal the morning of the first day of school before the school bus arrives. Funny thing is, it's a party for the parents because the kids are now regularly leaving for the day.

I get the feeling of being kid free don't get me wrong, but I think because I saw this event before I had a twinkle in my eye, it just holds this weird Desperate Housewives type thing in my head. Part of that could be because they all hang out for 30 or so minutes AFTER the kids have left. Again, I get it I just find it to be very - Suburbia Serengeti. Luckily, I have a really good window view ;)


So that is the Suburbia part of my post. The second has to do with my own kiddo. It was fun to watch all the kids this past week get ready and go off to school - some for the first time and some just a new class. It made me excited for the days that I would get to take my own kiddo back to school shopping as I have a thing for office supplies, but later that same school day I was enjoying our time together of her being not yet preschool age. And then today happened.

I had heard a few weeks back that my kiddo spent sometime in the "big kid" room at daycare but heard nothing about it after that and she is not "transition" age for another 5-6 months. Then today, when I was putting her blanket in her cubby - her nametag was down and all her stuff was in a bag with her name on it. First thought, too many bites and we got kicked out, lol but also true. Then I remembered about the big kid room so I called the school during nap time to talk to her teacher. When I asked to talk to Miss M, I was asked if I wanted to talk to her or Miss D as kiddo was in Miss D's class now. I was a little shocked to say the least and there was a little explaining on the other end but about paperwork.

So I still have to go in and see her new room, meet the teacher, and hope she does alright with the transition. Also, the big kid room! Big stuff, more structure, and helping her move forward. Wow - now it's not like she still doesn't like to see mommy go and is strutting off into the school sunset - but it is still a step for the both of us. I hope a positive one and one in which we will grow together, stronger, bolder, and in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment